Image Map

Friday, July 24, 2015

100 Days of School with Zelda Zero

When I was young math was hard for me and I would get nervous and worry about math time.  It's something I think about when I teach.  How can I present math in a non-threatening way.  I want it to be fun, active, and see relationships in numbers and patterns.  By the end of the year in my district the kiddos must be able to count and write to 100. 
My objective was to get the kiddos to meet that goal and do it by the 100th day of school.


  • I needed to have a clear and concise "lesson plan" went through all 100 days and would be easy and have some pizazz and yet  accomplish this goal.
  •  I wanted a "character" to represent every 10th day.
  • The character had to be funny,lovable,a little mischievous and give the number rules for the week.
  • There needed to be an art project, game, a treat(sometimes) and a objective for every 10th day.
  • There also needed to meet objectives and be purposeful.
  • Last but not least, I wanted the kiddos to like what we were doing and not even realize they were learning.
After thinking and brainstorming all one summer I came up with my plan.  I found a little doll character that lived in a funny mysterious box.  Her name was Zelda Zero.  She would visit the classroom every 10th day.  She would also have some type of dilemma or an antic every time she visited.  She would have an art project, and a  number game. The number game could be for a center or if copies were made it could be a class game.

Day 10 - Introduction to Zelda Zero and the missing 0's

 Today is Zelda's big introduction day.  The students have been prepped with discussions about what happened last year.  I drop hints about what happens on the 10th day, but the real appearance happens the 10th day. Zelda is introduced yelling from her box where she lives. She has a unique voice so the kids recognize her over the next 100 days.  We play a 10 frame game and find the dimes.  They are so excited about Zelda Zero!

Day 20 - The Queen of Hearts- A number sequence game.

Zelda comes out wearing a crown.  She claims she is a queen.  The kids love this character.  We read the nursery rhyme- The Queen of Hearts.  She brings a new game, a Number Sequence game.

Day 30- I Can Lick Thirty Tigers Today by Dr. Seuss -  I Have...Who Has Cards

Today Zelda comes out with a plastic/stuffed tiger and claims she is not afraid of anything and he can Lick 30 tigers today! I  also love reading Harriet and the Roller Coaster by Nancy Carlson.   This is also a story about not being afraid of a roller coaster.  She also gives the class Tiger- I have..Who Has game

Day 40 - 50 Lost Poodles!

Today Zelda does not come to school.  She is dog sitting 50 Poodles and they have escaped!  She writes a note to the kiddos and asks for their help in finding the dogs.  If they do, she will give them a Back to the 50's party. The hunt begins!


Day 50 - Back to the 50's  Day  

The Poodles have been found and now it's time to Party!
The day is filled with music, games dancing, Hot Rod Racing, Hula hoops and Root Beer floats.

Day 60 - Minute to Win It

What can you do in 1 minute?   Zelda comes out wearing a Stop Watch and wants the kids to play games with her.  How about Minute to Win It games.

Day 70 -  Lost my Kitty!

It's the 70's and time for  the song YMCA. Zelda brings in a new class game called Lost My Kitty.  This is a very popular guessing game with the kiddos.

Day 80 - Ten Days for a "Cause"

On the 80th day  Zelda wants to be freed.  She is caught in a balloon and must get free. In order to do that the class must do something nice for others.  A goal is set and now the work begins!

Day 90- Review 90 Days of School

On the 90th day Zelda wants to play games from all the 
other ten days of school, but in order to find out what you are doing each day a balloon must be popped with a message.

Day 100 - 100 Days of School Celebration!

It's a great day with several 100 day activities. The highlight is 100 balloons blown up! 

Other Ideas

100 Days and Beyond!  

I continued with Zelda Zero after 100 days, but Zelda did not always come visit.  We did work with 100 number activities, and did do an art project each 10 days. 

I dedicated a bulletin board to the Zelda Zero projects.

At the End of the Year we combined all the projects in a binder and sent it home.  It was cute to see the progress made by each kiddo in 100+ Days of School.


Get Your Own 100 Days of School-Zelda Zero

If  you love the idea of 100 days of School - Zelda Zero it's available in my TpT Store  for download.  Along with many other products.

I Want to Hear from You
 Let's connect!  The Teacher Bin is on
Facebook
Pinterest





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...